Spacejunk Grenoble is pleased to announce the fifth edition of the Grenoble Alps Street Art Festival. This is the largest festival of its kind in Europe, with a full month of new artworks, exhibitions, guided tours, meet-ups, conferences, workshops, unveilings, innovations, projections, concerts and much more.
The objective is to extend the reach of street art, spreading it from the center of the Alps to the whole world by presenting it in all its many forms. The program includes large-scale murals, traditional graffiti, collages, stencils, urban sculpture, installations, photography, anamorphic studio works, digital street art… and of course exhibitions.
Focusing mainly on the production of new murals in public spaces, the Grenoble Alps Street Art Festival produces more than 50 works each year where artists are invited to demonstrate their talents.
Building on the success of the first four editions, the 2019 Street Art Festival has set its sights even higher. For this 5th edition, which takes place from 31 May to 30 June, it is consolidating its metropolitan dimension by extending beyond Grenoble to the surrounding areas such as Fontaine, Saint-Martin-d’Hères, Le-Pont-de-Claix, and Echirolles. Events will also take place on the university campus thanks to the participation of its major stakeholders: CROUS, which oversees student facilities, Grenoble Alps University, and the Grenoble Alps University Teaching Hospital.
As in previous years, to create the new artworks the festival will call upon artists who are either local (Ekis & Boye, Tawos, Groek, Cobie, Petite Poissone), national (Mantra, Veks Van Hillk, Softwix), or international (Bezt, Robert Proch, Augustine Kofie, Li Hill, 1010).
This year’s festival will also feature US artist Shepard Fairey (OBEY), who will be on site from June 11 to 14, to create a large-scale mural in Grenoble and present the biggest ever exhibition of his work – a retrospective spanning his 30-year career, with more than 600 works in the Ancien Musée de Peinture, Place de Verdun. This exceptional exhibition will run until 27 October 2019.
It will also be the 3rd edition of the Street Art MOVIE Festival with three evenings of free live screenings (from May 30 to June 2, Place du Jardin de Ville, Grenoble) to open the festival. Six categories of films will be featured.
As for digital innovations, Digital Street Art will be showcased from 6 to 30 June in the prestigious Salle Galilée in the center of Grenoble. This will be a unique opportunity to discover and try out the technological and digital innovations invented by artists who are also research engineers. Be warned – this workshop could be extremely addictive!
To round off this year’s festival, a new cultural sporting event is also scheduled – Street Art Run! Two circuits will lead walkers and runners through the artworks, with the itinerary punctuated by live events. Participants can try either a 4km or 9m circuit with start times throughout the day. With no timed runs, it’s a great way to discover new places and have fun!
For all the latest information and news on the Festival, follow us on www.streetartfest.org and on the various social networks.
THE 2019 FESTIVAL IN BRIEF:
• 1 month of events (from May 31 to June 30, 2019)
• 40 new artworks that will be added to the 136 murals already up
• 50 participating artists (muralists, graffiti artists, stencil artists, wheatpaste artists, etc.)
• 10 exhibitions as part of the festival.
• 4 towns taking part : Grenoble, Fontaine, Saint-Martin-d’Hères, Le-Pont-de-Claix
• 6 Grenoble neighborhoods taking part: Berriat-Saint-Bruno, Championnet, L’île Verte, Capuche, Hyper Centre, Teisseire.
• 1 Film festival dedicated to Street Art: 3rd edition of the Street Art MOVIE Festival
• 1 Digital Festival
• 5 Street Art Runs (1 main + 4 training runs)
• 1 mobile artwork on a tramcar
Confirmed events and highlights: vents and highlights:
• Street Art MOVIE Festival (Street Art Film Festival from 31 May to 2 June)
Jardin de Ville. Every day from 4pm to midnight.
• Inauguration of the Street Art Festival (5 June from 6pm)
Ancien Musée de Peinture. This event will be followed from 8pm by a concert at the Jardin de Ville de Grenoble.
• Inauguration of Digital Street Art (6 June from 6.30pm)
Salle Galilée, Résidence CROUS (10 Bd. Maréchal Joffre, Grenoble)
• Opening of the exhibition of works by Petite Poissone (7 June from 6.30pm)
Spacejunk Art Centers (15 rue Génissieu) in the presence of the artist
• Participation of Shepard Fairey (USA) in Grenoble (From 11 June to 14 June)
13 June at 5.30pm – Inauguration of the exhibition “OBEY – 30 Years of Resistance. A Print Survey of Shepard Fairey” in the presence of the artist, Ancien Musée de Peinture
14 June at 2pm – Unveiling of the artist’s mural and concert
• Fête de la Musique (21 June from 2pm to midnight)
Info Point / Street Art Festival events (Esplanade Alain Le Ray – Caserne De Bonne)
• Street Art Run (30 June from 9am)
Start / Finish : Place de Verdun, Grenoble
Running or walking tours around the artworks in Grenoble and Saint-Martin-d’Hères